KAUST Innovation is hiring
KAUST Innovation collaborates with all departments and research centers across the university to help get research put to use. Our mission is to help maximize KAUST’s contribution to the economic diversification of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its transformation to a knowledge-based economy.
We are looking for talented economic development specialists who are as ambitious as the mission we are striving to achieve. We are particularly looking for expertise in company partnership development and early-stage investment, but also for people with the skills, talent, and ideas that can help KAUST achieve its transformative ambitions.
KAUST believes that personal fulfillment and discovery are integral aspects of a rewarding professional life and the university makes it easy for staff to balance their professional responsibilities with other aspects of their lives. KAUST provides ample opportunities and time to keep work and life in harmony – from vacations and holidays to an inviting campus community on the shores of the Red Sea, with all the seaside amenities and recreation facilities of a fine resort.
Open KAUST Innovation Positions
Technical Development Specialist
KAUST is seeking a dynamic, creative and collaborative Technology Development Specialist with an interesting background in applied sciences, product development and business development to join its Technology Transfer team. See More
Working within a specific technical domain the TDS will play an active role in developing products and applications derived from the world class research conducted at KAUST.
The I&ED team has the express mandate of getting research put to use through licenses, startup companies and social enterprises.
The ideal candidate will be expected to develop strong collaborative working relationships with members of the KAUST faculty and to augment the capabilities of the academic divisions and research centers.
He/she will be able to drive the development of nascent technologies toward adoption by commercial partners through a variety of processes including gap-funding, translational research and project management.
Key outcomes of these engagements may include: escalation of technology on the technology readiness scale (TRL) research collaborations, faculty consultancy, technology piloting, creation of startup companies, and expansion of the KAUST Research Technology Park (KRTP) and facilitation of IP licensing deals.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Science/Engineering and/or Business or equivalent is required.
- A PhD is preferred but a Master’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline or business administration is expected.
- 5-10 years of experience in Project/Program Management, Strategic Partnerships, and/or Marketing.
- At least 5 years relevant experience preferably in a university environment.
- Academic-industry partnership experience.
- Industry Experience is a plus.
- International work experience is a plus
- RTTP or CLP credential will be highly considered
Marketing Specialist – Entrepreneurship
This role helps achieve the KAUST Innovation mission by supporting KAUST entrepreneurship marketing activities for accelerator programs and early-stage startups. In this role, you will work closely with the Marketing & Outreach team, Entrepreneurship teams, corporate partners, and startup founders to provide the marketing assistance needed to develop and support our entrepreneurship programs and activities. See More
- Manage the messaging and marketing plans for entrepreneurship programs including execution of promotional activities such as email and social media, website and landing pages, ads, blogs, and videos.
- Work closely with startups to ensure their early-stage marketing needs are met and assets delivered.
- Collaborate with Entrepreneurship Center and Innovation Fund teams to stay updated on progress of programs.
- High-impact personality with excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Agile thinker, entrepreneurship-minded, motivated and results-focused.
- Undergraduate degree in Marketing or related field with experience in marketing or communications with minimum 5 years’ experience.
- Strong English writing skills for business and technical audiences.
Educational Program Development Officer
The Education Program Development Officer (EPDO) is responsible for a range of activities to ensure the operational effectiveness and excellence of the teaching and learning activities of the KAUST Entrepreneurship Center, through directly supporting the Program Development Coordinator.
This would include the creation of new content, revision of existing content, working with MarComs to promote content for a wider audience (via the KAUST website, blogs, Linkedln, Twitter etc.).
The EPDO would support training program execution inside and outside the university, including the startup accelerator training elements, the New Venture School classes, and the growing corporate innovation programs. See More
- Scan best practice in a number of key areas of innovation, entrepreneurship, creativity and design thinking globally
- Support the creation of new content for use in lectures based on this scan of best practice
- Help with delivery of lectures particularly the teaching element of the accelerator programs as well as coordination on the New Venture School program and large external startup training delivery
- Coordinate with other parts of KAUST for program delivery, including the startup side of the Entrepreneurship Center, KAUST School, and the Academic side of KAUST
- Liaise and manage the communication between the Center and any related party in order to ensure the execution and the delivery of the best experience for both the presenters and the participants as well
- Manage the market activities department to ensure continuous visibility of the different offerings of the program in collaboration with marketing department to ensure continuous visibility of the different offerings
- Entrepreneurship and innovation related subject matter knowledge
- Content creation and content delivery capabilities
- Ability to work collaboratively with a various of startup teams in different technology areas
- Ability to work collaboratively with various stakeholders within and outside of KAUST
- Team player, goal oriented with leadership skills
- Ability to multi-task and cope with changing priorities
- Excellent judgment, tact, discretion when dealing with confidential matters
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively particularly an audience
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in English and Arabic
- Strong computer skills (MS office package particularly PPT, and web applications, etc.)
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Preference for Arabic speaker
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferable or a professional qualification of equivalent standing. Further education, PhD or business administration would be helpful, in one of the key areas of content.
- 3-5 years relevant business experience preferably involving working as a lecturer or teaching assistant particularly in the areas of entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Experience in preparing content for teaching
- Organize all logistics related to guest speakers, startup accelerators, training programs, and classes for monthly events in the Entrepreneurship Center.
- Organize and coordinate all external events, supporting KAUST EC activities at conferences,
- Supporting startup participation in internal and external events, conferences.
- Liaise with external faculty and organizations in terms of managing various events e.g. Takamol, ext. External universities, SABB and others.
- Liaise with range of other KAUST units in particular with MarComs, Human Resources, Facilities, Finance, Security, Travel etc. in coordination with the EC Team Administrator.
- Coordinate all KAUST startup accelerator event logistics and issues particularly paperwork such as visa’s, invoices, contracts, transport and events participation with the EC Team administrator.
- Liaise directly with the various startups on the accelerator programs (up to 30 startups on Taqadam, up to SO startups on Takamol 910ths) to ensure that they are aware of various activities, filling specific details and update their startup information for promotional purposes.
- Manage externally funded startup program events activities e.g. pre-accelerator programs for Taqadam, Takamol.
- Manage communications with partners and other universities to ensure involvement in suitable programs and events.